Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

My checking account statement contains an error due to an electronic funds transfer (debit card/ACH/preauthorized withdrawal)? What should I do?

For personal/consumer accounts, you generally have 60 days from the date the bank sends the periodic statement to you to contact your bank. Notify the bank in writing of the error and keep a copy for your records. The bank's requirements may be different for business accounts.

Review your deposit account agreement for policies specific to your bank and your account.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us