Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

I just noticed an electronic fund transfer on my statement that I did not authorize. That same charge appeared on my prior statement as well. What should I do?

You should notify the bank immediately of the issue and provide certain account information (e.g., name on the account, type of account) and information about the transactions you did not authorize. Under applicable law, your promptness in notifying the bank of any unauthorized transactions is critical to limiting liability to you for those transactions. In addition, under applicable law, timely notice is one factor in determining banks' obligations for investigating and correcting efforts, such as unauthorized transactions. The bank may ask you to complete an affidavit of unauthorized use.

If you believe the charges are related to preauthorized electronic fund transfer agreements, see the Q&A on "How can I stop a pre-authorized debit from being paid from my checking account?"

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us