I cancelled a product after the free trial period, but the merchant keeps charging my credit card account each month. The bank says to resolve it with the merchant. What should I do?

First, write to the merchant, directing them to stop the charges.

Second, notify your bank in writing about any charges that you feel were in error. (Use the billing error instructions, which should appear on the back of the periodic credit card statement. This address is usually different from where you send your payment.)

The bank must receive your notice of billing error within 60 days of its having sent you the first monthly statement containing the unauthorized charges.

March 2010