What can I do if my bank took Social Security money from my checking account to pay on a loan that I owe to the bank?

You should contact your bank to inform them that the source of some or all of the money in your account was Social Security benefits.

If you are a customer of a national bank and have questions about a bank’s right of offset, you can contact the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Customer Assistance Group, at 1-800-613-6743.